Greetings, programs, and welcome to our one year anniversary! It’s hard to believe we relaunched the podcast a year ago to the day but here we are a year later. We are so grateful for all of you, for your listening and engagement, and for the community that we’re starting to build.
It’s fitting that this week saw the release of two new Marvel Cinematic Universe entries because that’s how the show began. Last year we covered the Disney+ series Loki and the film Black Widow. We decided to make an event of it, so this is a super-sized episode –nearly 2 hours long. Not only do we discuss the new Disney+ series Ms Marvel and the new film Thor: Love & Thunder, but we also break down both Simon and my MCU top ten lists, and then we asked over fifty of our friends to contribute to a consensus top ten list. That’s right, the top ten MCU entries as decided by over fifty people.
Below are streaming links powered by JustWatch for both of the new entries we discussed, a breakdown of the methodology used to determine the consensus top ten, an embedded player for the episode, and a complete listing of over 30 podcast networks you can find us on.
We want to say welcome and thanks for listening to all our listeners, new and old; we appreciate every one of you. If you like what you hear, please consider giving us a like, review, and subscribe on your podcasting platform of choice, and if you can spare a few bucks, you could support us via Patreon or Ko-Fi.
Meanwhile, relax and enjoy your flight.
Ed Note: Yes, the links are affiliate links, and we may receive commissions when you click. These links are powered by JustWatch and update as availability changes, so please check back later if you don’t see one! If you do not see the links, please consider turning off your adblocker or safe-listing this site.
Thor: Love & Thunder
The Marvel Rankings
I put together a composite top ten list for this episode for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Partly this is because we thought it would be interesting to see the consensus, and partly because I thought it would be a bit of fun.
To create the list, we invited friends to submit their own top ten lists, drawing from all 36 current entries in the MCU. I used the points scheme from Formula 1 racing. Movies ranked in 1st place received 25 points, 2nd place 18, 3rd place 15, and so on. Each person was also asked what percentage of the MCU they had seen, and their points were weighted accordingly. Here is a complete breakdown.
Once each film had a base score, they were also given 0.1 points for each appearance. This was for tie-breaking purposes. For example, a film ranked 1st twice would have 50.2 points, but if that same film was rated 2nd once, 4th once, and 5th twice, it would end up with 50.4 points. The thinking is that more appearances overall slightly outweighs fewer. There were still some ties even with this, so films ranked 1st received an additional 0.1 points, movies ranked 2nd received an additional 0.09, 3rd received an additional 0.08, and so on.
This led to a list with no ties. Here’s a look at the appearances and scores of the final top ten, but you’ll have to listen to the show to hear the titles 🙂
We had over 50 friends help us put this Marvel Top Ten experiment together. A big thanks to each of them, listed here in alphabetical order.
- Aaron Neuwirth, The Code is Zeek
- Alejandro D. Orengo Colón, Cine Más Podcast
- Alexander Reams, DrinkInTheMovies.com, Alexander’s Letterboxd
- Anna Harrison, DrinkInTheMovies.com, Anna’s Letterboxd
- Austin Belzer, AustinBMedia
- Ben Miller, IceCream4Freaks.com
- Benjamin Wiebe, Benjamin’s Twitter
- Bernard Ozarowski, TheInventionOfDreams.com
- Brendan Cassidy, InSession Film
- Brian Eggert, DeepFocusReview.com
- Brian Skutle, Sonic Cinema
- Cam Sully, Jacked Up Review Show
- Chris Salazar, Hipster Hell
- Craig McKenzie, KneelBeforBlog.co.uk
- Dakota Arsenault, Contra Zoom Pod
- Darren, MovieReviews101.com
- DM Anderson, Free Kittens Movie Guide
- DJ Valentine, Simplistic Reviews
- Don Shanahan, 25 Years Later
- Ethan Brehm, The Twizard
- Gill, Realweegiemidget Reviews
- James Wilson, Blogging by Cinema Light
- Jay Cluitt, Life vs Film, Deep Blue Sea The Podcast, The LAMB
- Jeff Bulmer, Classic Movies Live!
- Jeffrey Lyles, Lyles Movie Files
- Joe Froemming, The Joe-Down
- Justin, The Rambling Ramblers Podcast
- Latoya, Franglais27 Tales
- LeAnne Lindsay, Tinsel & Tine
- Lisa Leaheey, The SibList, Between the Scares
- Mark “Luis is the greatest MCU character” Hofmeyer, Jet Ski Enthusiast, Movies, Films, & Flix
- Matthew Fox, Music City Drive-In
- Melissa, Melissa’s Letterboxd
- Michael Thomas, The Novice Cinephile
- MovieRob, MovieRob, The MovieRob Minute Podcast
- Niall Gray, Corner of Film
- Nicholas Rehak, The ReHack
- Paskalis Damar, Sinekdoks
- Patrick Hao, DrinkInTheMovies.com, Patrick’s Letterboxd
- Rachel Ho, Freelance Critic, Contra Zoom Pod
- Richard Kirkham, Kirkham Movie a Day, The LAMB
- Scott Gilliland, Upcoming On Screen
- Shaurya Chawla, YouTube
- Simon Appleton, The Movie Moustache
- Taylor Baker, DrinkInTheMovies.com
- Thomas Stoneham-Judge, ThisIsForReel.com
- Tim, First Time Watchers
- Todd Pengelly, ThisIsForReel.com, Todd’s Letterboxd
- Tyler, Tyler’s Twitter
- YL Koushik, Beta Critic
There will also be a bonus episode coming soon with audio clips from our friends about their favourite MCU entries. Look for that soon!
Listen right here on the site:
Listen on your favourite podcasting app:
Like t is? Please consider supporting us via Patreon or Ko-Fi!