It’s just about time for the Oscars so here are a few predictions, just so they’re on record before the show starts.
Animated Feature Film
- Big Hero 6
- The Boxtrolls
- How to Train Your Dragon 2
- Song of the Sea
- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
I’m going to go with How To Train Your Dragon 2 because it’s won all the other awards and it’s just the kind of story that the Academy goes for. This is where I make my first of many “that The Lego Movie isn’t nominated is dumb” statements of the night.
- “Everything Is Awesome” from The Lego Movie
- “Glory” from Selma
- “Grateful” from Beyond the Lights
- “I’m Not Gonna Miss You” from Glen Campbell… I’ll Be Me
- “Lost Stars” from Begin Again
Glory is probably going to take it, but EVerything is Awesome should. That movie needs some love and it’s also the perfect song for that movie.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- X-Men: Days of Future Past
I’m of mixed feelings here. These are all good choices but Dawn of the Planet of the Apes really made the apes convincing and if we’re not going to recognize the acting element of that we should at least recognize the technical achievement.
- Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
- Bradley Cooper, American Sniper
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Imitation Game
- Michael Keaton, Birdman
- Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything
My gut tells me that Michael Keaton will take this one. He won previous awards and he’s in a movie that seems to be a magnet for awards.
- Marion Cotillard, Two Days One Night
- Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything
- Julianne Moore, Still Alice
- Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
- Reese Witherspoon, Wild
I really hope it’s Rosamund Pike, but I think it might be Julianne Moore.
Best Supporting Actor
- Robert Duvall, The Judge
- Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
- Edward Norton, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
- Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
- J.K. Simmons, Whiplash
J.K. Simmons. He’s incredible. Everyone else is great but this is his award to lose.
Best Supporting Actress
- Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
- Laura Dern, Wild
- Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
- Emma Stone, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
- Meryl Streep, Into the Woods
I have no idea. This is a category where I haven’t seen all the performances. People seem to love Patricia Arquette though, and she was pretty great in Boyhood, so let’s go with her.
- Emmanuel Lubezki, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
- Robert Yeoman, The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Lukasz Zal and Ryszard Lenczewski, Ida
- Dick Pope, Mr. Turner
- Roger Deakins, Unbroken
No idea who will win. I hope it’s Robert Yeoman though.
- Milena Canonero, The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Mark Bridges, Inherent Vice
- Colleen Atwood, Into the Woods
- Anna B. Sheppard and Jane Clive, Maleficent
- Jacqueline Durran, Mr. Turner
See previous prediction. Except Milena Canonero
- Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
- Richard Linklater, Boyhood
- Bennett Miller, Foxcatcher
- Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Morten Tyldum, The Imitation Game
As far as I am concerned this should be Wes Anderson‘s award to lose however I think Richard Linklighter will take it based on the commitment it took to pull off Boyhood
- Alexandre Desplat, The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Alexandre Desplat, The Imitation Game
- Hans Zimmer, Interstellar
- Gary Yershon, Mr. Turner
- Jóhann Jóhannsson, The Theory of Everything
Alexander Desplat for Grand Budapest, not Imitation Game. Hans Zimmer may take it though.
- Jason Hall, American Sniper
- Graham Moore, The Imitation Game
- Paul Thomas Anderson, Inherent Vice
- Anthony McCarten, The Theory of Everything
- Damien Chazelle, Whiplash
Of the ones I’ve seen Whiplash is likely the one that will win because a) it’s well written and b) I don’t think it has a dog in the Best Picture race (even though it should).
- Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr. & Armando Bo, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
- Richard Linklater, Boyhood
- E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman, Foxcatcher
- Wes Anderson; Story by Wes Anderson & Hugo Guinness, The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Dan Gilroy, Nightcrawler
Wes Anderson or Dan Gilroy should win this. _Alejandro Inarrutu likely will though.
- American Sniper
- Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- The Imitation Game
- The Theory of Everything
Who are we kidding, it’s going to be Birdman, right? BUt maybe they’ll give it to Selma just to prove they’re not racist.
Ugh. Still maybe the worst crop of nominees in ages. So many great films left in the dust.
Stay tuned for the live blog starting in a few minutes.